Hello! This is this week’s ETHosphere Timeline update – many of the big things upcoming in Ethereum in one big consolidated list.
Clearly, the big news this week was/is the price action, with its potential negative influence on the the ALL-IMPORTANT Hawaii 2022 event/decision. Be fearful of dead cats, everyone. Not much change in the overall timeline, however which is somewhat comforting.
The mid-year upgrades Altair and London / 1559 are both still on track. With Rayonism now wrapped up and the focus turning to the above upgrades, work on the Merge recedes into the background. Large range of opinions on the projected Merge launch date, ranging from October, to the end of 2021, through to early 2022, but too early to be making any firm calls. I’m taking the most optimistic view in this timeline until demonstrated otherwise.
All going to plan, optimistic rollups solution Arbitrum should be launching on mainnet this week (28th), initially for devs. An insightful comparison of Optimism vs Arbitrum has been posted here for those looking to understand this a bit more. Optimism now also has a nifty integration with Etherscan so you can see block activity as it happens.
Matter Labs’ zk-rollup implementation zkSync has a two highly significant milestones coming up (targeting May), namely the launch of NFTs and swaps on mainnet v1, as well as their public testnet for EVM-capable zkSync v2. They’ve given an update this week and similar mentions on Discord to assure us that these are all still landing soon, receiving full team focus! Further edit: New post!
In other stuff, decentralised staking solution RocketPool has been fairly quiet of late, mainly due to to most of the team being off having babies… solid timing there 😉 While that has been happening a new round of audits started last week. We still don’t have a launch date, but it’s edging closer. Shoutouts to Reddit users u/Legitimate-Ship-4060 u/lifesmage and u/actuallymentor who have been posting weekly project summaries to the under-utilised RPL sub. Sliding the launch estimate back to July at this stage.
Ethereum protocol upgrades / hardforks in bold.
All dates are moderately informed guesses by me, and should definitely NOT be viewed as commitments from the respective teams.
Q2 (Apr-Jun) 2021
- 28 May – Arbitrum optimistic rollups mainnet release
- May – Loopring 3.7 release, to include L2 > L1 bridge (batches L1 transactions together and uses L2 to do the bulk of computation)
- May – zkSync 2 Public testnet
- May – zkSync 1.x NFT minting and transfers, as well as token swaps
- 9 June – London / EIP-1559 on Ropsten testnet
- 15 June – Go/no-go decision for Hawaii 2022
- 16 June – London / EIP-1559 on Goerli testnet
- 23 June – London / EIP-1559 on Rinkeby testnet
- June (but likely July) – RocketPool live launch. Decentralised staking for all! Final audits commenced 17 May.
Previously announced Q2 milestones with unspecific dates:
- Synthetix v3
- Connext P2P Networking release
- StarkNet Planets release. Single-App zk rollups
- Optimism / DAI initial bridge. First stage towards eliminating 7 day optimistic rollups withdrawal lockup.
Q3 (Jul-Sep) 2021
- 14 July – London – Eth1 upgrade to include EIPs 1559, 3554 (ice age delay to December), 3198 (basefee opcode), 3529 (reducing gas refunds), and 3541 (reject 0xEF contracts).
- July / August – Altair – Eth2 beacon chain/clients upgrade. A good rundown of the proposed changes can be found here.
- July – Optimism Public Mainnet.
- July also? – Uniswap to go live with optimistic rollups.
- August – zkSync 2 Mainnet release.
- Optimism fast withdrawals via MakerDAO. Video explainer.
- StarkNet Constellations release. Multi-app zk rollups
- Argent L2 scaling with ZK Rollups
Q4 (Oct-Dec) 2021
- October – Shanghai: Ethereum upgrade to clean up EIPs previously mooted but ultimately excluded from London and The Merge. Considered EIPs: 3074, 3521, 2935, 2537, 2677, 3540
- October (possibly later) – The Eth1 / Eth2 Merge: Ethereum consensus transitions to Proof of Stake, although initially without withdrawals. Date estimates: October 2021, late 2021, Q1 2022
- October – zkSync 20,000+ TPS ZkPorter solution.
- StarkNet Universe release. Decentralised zk rollups.
Q1 (Jan-Mar) 2022
- Cancun – Ethereum upgrade to include validator withdrawals / post-merge cleanup. Scope TBC at this stage, but Vitalik talked about it here.
2022 and beyond!
- Sharding – 64 data shards (no execution on shards yet) and staggered shard blocks make rollups massively fast.
- 21-30 June – Hawaii 2022. Get hype.
- Data Availability Sampling – Security improvement for sharding.
- List dump of other future Ethereum improvements – Single Secret Leader Elections, verifiable delay functions, proof of custody, address extension to 32 bytes, statelessness and state expiry, account abstraction, EVM improvements, CBC Casper, SNARKed EVM and beacon chain, replace SNARKs with STARKs for quantum security.