Hello Eth-fam. u/Coldsnap here with the weekly ETHosphere timeline update. Several items checked off of the list made it a pretty significant week. Crypto gained more mainstream acceptance with the Coinbase listing, and the Ethereum blockchain continues its successful run of upgrades since the beacon chain went live last year.
Alternately it could all be nothing… /s
Protocol updates first:
- The Berlin Ethereum protocol upgrade this week was successful! One client, Open Ethereum, experienced a syncing issue, but this was quickly fixed. Well done to the Eth1 clients teams for a successful release.
- All eyes then turn to the next Eth1 upgrade – London, featuring EIP-1559. Development progress is going well with several clients already successfully syncing to the Aleut devnet. The focus for the next couple of weeks will be the JSON RPC. There is quite a bit of appetite in the teams to get the date for London firmed up. This date was the subject of intense debate on this week’s All Core Devs call; it is not yet decided which EIPs will be included with London although we know that the difficulty bomb delay alongside EIP-3198, BASEFEE opcode, have made the cut. 3403, 3074, 2537, and 2677 are still being debated. If many more are included it’s likely the date for London will shift to August. This would both give more breathing room to test the changes but also help out The Merge by reducing the number of EIPs that need to be considered in the same breath. Alternately, if there is a need, an upgrade fork could occur in between London and The Merge, but I think this unlikely given how badly people want The Merge to happen ASAP. Basically, it comes down to what MUST be delivered this year vs what can wait 1 year+ for delivery.
- The Merge testnet will be progressing further at the Rayonism hackathon this week.
In other timeline updates:
- Coinbase IPO happened! Eth2 staking also went live!
- Rocketpool audits are still ongoing. We are expecting the results of these any day now. In the meantime, the long-awaited tokenomics article finally dropped. Hoping we get some clarity on a mainnet date this week.
- Optimism are also participating in the Ethereum hackathon @ ETHglobal. There is a testnet available for that, which to my mind satisfies the ‘late April’ public testnet milestone in the timeline.
- A MakerDAO community call happened on Tuesday which focussed on scaling with L2. One of the segments was on the Optimism/DAI bridge and this appears still to be on track – in the timeline for April still in its first stage.
- ZkSync added some more detail on their plan for ZkSync v2, scheduled to land this summer – this is already in the timeline for August as an estimate. They posted this week on their novel ZkPorter solution which, in their view, is a much stronger proposition from a scaling/security perspective than Zk Rollups. Vitalik thinks this criticism is overblown – some good discussion there.
- And lastly, now that NFT scaling solution Immutable X has comenced its rollout, they’ve posted an enticing-looking roadmap that details their plan for wider rollout beyond just Gods Unchained. Unfortunately no dates, but I’ll post them here when known.
All dates are moderately informed guesses by me, and should definitely NOT be viewed as commitments from the respective teams.
- 18 March – Rocketpool final beta. In progress.
14 April – Berlin – Eth1 upgrade at block 12244000.Successfully delivered! 14 April – Coinbase stock listing and stakingNow live! Late April – Optimism Public Testnet.Available now as part of the EthGlobal hackathon.
- 16 April to 14 May – Rayonism. The Ethereum scaling hackathon @ ETHGlobal. Attempt will be be made to hack together a testnet Merge as well as data sharding. Rayonism spec now exists and the event is in progress.
Q2 (Apr-Jun) 2021
- April – Optimism / DAI initial bridge. First stage towards eliminating 7 day optimistic rollups withdrawal lockup.
- April – zkSync 1.x L2 trading of fungible tokens
- 5 May – Uniswap v3
- Shortly thereafter (Mid-May?) – Uniswap goes live with optimistic rollups. This tweet, acknowledged by Hayden, is suggesting 12 May
- Mid-May – RocketPool live launch. Decentralised staking for all! Audits are still in progress.
- May – zkSync 2.0 Public testnet
- May – zkSync 1.x NFT minting and transfers
- Arbitrum optimistic rollups mainnet (Q2 guess by me based on their v4 release candidate announcement)
- 15 June – Go/no-go decision for Hawaii 2022
- Clearly defined specification for the merge. Spec PR now exists!
- Synthetix v3 / L2 synth swaps – Phase 1 of the SNX / Optimism transition
- Connext P2P Networking release
- StarkNet Planets release. Single-App zk rollups
Q3 (Jul-Sep) 2021
- July – London – Eth1 upgrade to include EIPs-1559, 3198, and the ice-age delay. Aleut devnet is up and running.
- July – Altair – Eth2 beacon chain/clients upgrade.
- July – Optimism Public Mainnet.
- August – zkSync 2.0 Mainnet release. 20,000+ TPS ZkRollups/ZkPorter solution.
- The Eth1/Eth2 merge production testing.
- Optimism fast withdrawals via MakerDAO. Video explainer.
- StarkNet Constellations release. Multi-app zk rollups
- Argent L2 scaling with ZK Rollups
Q4 (Oct-Dec) 2021
- Shanghai – Ethereum upgrade to potentially include the Eth1/Eth2 Merge
- StarkNet Universe release. Decentralised zk rollups.
Q1 (Jan-Mar) 2022
- Ethereum upgrade to include validator withdrawals / post-merge cleanup. Scope fully TBC at this stage.
- Eth2 Sharding
- Eth2 Light Clients
- 21-30 June – Hawaii 2022. Get hype.