Hey hey heeeey Eth-fam, @Coldsnap here – this is the weekly ETHosphere timeline update.
This week it felt like certain pieces were slowly moving into place – we have some big projects either launching, or preparing to, all the while the Ethereum core protocol upgrades continue to make good progress. Clearly next week is a big one for milestones.
- First up this week is Rocketpool. The final beta is still ongoing, as are its security audits. Lots of speculation this week about when Rocketpool will finally launch as it originally had ambitions to do so in Q1. Discord educator Ken’s estimate, for me, is the best going right now, which would indicate mid-May. Also RPL community member hanniabu has made a fun tool which attempts to predict how much your prospective Rocketpool node might return to you in rewards. The results are… compelling! I believe the tool is not fully fleshed out so salt grains are required.
- The Immutable X Marketplace went live this week for Gods Unchained. Here’s what you can do on it right now. These are the first stages of what will become a full, open NFT protocol once the concept is proven with GU. It’s off to a great start though with $400k in fees saved on day 1 alone.
- Defi platform dYdX was one of the early milestones tracked in this timeline, and indeed they released their L2 closed alpha back in February. Very happy to report that dYdX L2 launched on mainnet this week. Looking forward to seeing them grow via handy tools like L2Beat!
- On the Ethereum protocol side of things we had the Eth2 devs call this week. The main update for this timeline is that work continues towards both The Merge (see below) and the Altair upgrade this summer. Prior to Altair launch, the Nimbus team is flagging 2 months lead time for security audits. Danny Ryan thinks June is optimistic at this point. As such, I wouldn’t call it a delay necessarily, given no firm commitments have been made, but this likely pushes the upgrade into Q3 (July) on the timeline. Client teams are making good progress though – Ben Edgington has some solid call notes if you’d like the detail there.
- After last week’s new Merge dev call, and the announcement of the Rayonism hackathon, work on the Merge is still in full swing. The hardworking client teams are supporting this at the same time as progressing Altair (for Eth2 clients) and London (for Eth1 clients) in parallel. If you want to learn about The Merge, check out https://ethmerge.com/. You can even contribute to the content there by submitting a PR to the repo just like helpful individuals Justin Drake and u/vbuterin have already done.
- And finally, for the London upgrade, the first EIP-1559 transaction successfully ran this week on the Aleut devnet.
All dates are moderately informed guesses by me, and should definitely NOT be viewed as commitments from the respective teams.
18 March – Rocketpool final beta.In progress. 24 March – Eth1 Berlin upgrade on Rinkby testnet. Final stage of testing prior to mainnnet launch on 14 April.All going to plan! 7 April – Next stage of Immutable X live launch – Marketplace opening. This is a big deal for NFTs.Now live!
Q2 (Apr-Jun) 2021
- 14 April – Berlin – Eth1 upgrade at block 12244000. On track for release.
- 14 April – Coinbase stock listing. We still don’t know when staking will commence although Eth2 now exists as its own asset within the app!
- 16 April to 14 May – Rayonism. The Ethereum scaling hackathon @ ETHGlobal. Attempt will be be made to hack together a testnet Merge as well as data sharding. Rayonism spec now exists!
- Mid-May – RocketPool live launch. Decentralised staking for all! Audits are still in progress.
- April – Optimism / DAI initial bridge. First stage towards eliminating 7 day optimistic rollups withdrawal lockup.
- April – Arbitrum optimistic rollups mainnet (guess by me based on their v4 release candidate announcement)
- April – zkSync 1.x L2 trading of fungible tokens
- Late April – Optimism Public Testnet.
- 5 May – Uniswap v3
- Shortly thereafter (Mid-May?) – Uniswap goes live with optimistic rollups. This tweet, acknowledged by Hayden, is suggesting 12 May
- May – zkSync 2.0 Public testnet
- May – zkSync 1.x NFT minting and transfers
- 15 June – Go/no-go decision for Hawaii 2022
- Clearly defined specification for the merge. Spec PR now exists!
- Synthetix v3 / L2 synth swaps – Phase 1 of the SNX / Optimism transition
- Connext P2P Networking release
- StarkNet Planets release. Single-App zk rollups
Q3 (Jul-Sep) 2021
- July – London – Eth1 upgrade to include EIP-1559 and ice-age delay. Aleut devnet is up and running.
- July – Altair – Eth2 beacon chain/clients upgrade.
- July – Optimism Public Mainnet.
- August – zkSync 2.0 Mainnet release. 20,000+ TPS zk rollups.
- The Eth1/Eth2 merge production testing.
- Optimism fast withdrawals via MakerDAO.
- StarkNet Constellations release. Multi-app zk rollups
- Argent L2 scaling with ZK Rollups
Q4 (Oct-Dec) 2021
- Shanghai – Ethereum upgrade to potentially include the Eth1/Eth2 Merge
- StarkNet Universe release. Decentralised zk rollups.
Q1 (Jan-Mar) 2022
- Ethereum upgrade to include validator withdrawals / post-merge cleanup. Scope fully TBC at this stage.
- Eth2 Sharding
- Eth2 Light Clients
- 21-30 June – Hawaii 2022. Get hype.