The ETHStaker crew had the privilege to sit down with Danny Ryan of the Ethereum Foundation. This was an incredibly refreshing discussion, as the group was able to ‘zoom out’ and provide insights into answering questions like ‘where are we going?’ and ‘what’s next?’. Danny Ryan was able to share his thoughts, providing valuable information for the ETHStaker Community to help guide us into 2021.
For those that were able to attend the LIVE session of Community Call #15 with Danny Ryan, an exclusive ETHStaker POAP was distributed to all verified attendees. The recording of today’s Community Call is published above this post. Questions provided by ETHStaker community members were asked to Danny Ryan.
Danny Ryan goes on to discuss various details surrounding how Shards will interoperate with the pending Layer 2 solutions like Rollups, the status of the ETH1/ETH2 merger, Testnets, Community, and more. See the specific questions asked of Danny Ryan below.
ETHStaker Community Call Q&A
During the ETHStaker Community Call #15 with Danny Ryan, we were able to ask the following questions, and received valuable insights. Click on the questions you find interesting to view Danny Ryan’s answer.
- With the Beacon Chain having launched on December 1st, 2020, almost 6 weeks ago, what can you tell the ETHStaker Community about how that launch went, and how well it is going right now?
- Danny, you mention “how swapping out the ETH1 engine for the ETH2 engine”. If that is the current direction can we expect some sort of Testnet to be deployed to prepare for this?
- Have you observed a Testnet merged client, if so, did you feel like that could be what to expect going forward?
- Initially, it seemed like ETH1 traffic would be a second-class citizen as a Shard, and now if that’s moved on to the Beacon Chain does that make Shard data a second-class citizen?
- Danny Ryan comments and provides his insights on what we can reasonably expect to come next: ETH1/ETH2 merger or Shards
- Would it be possible that it could be sooner than two years that we see funds able to be released?
- Will we see a push for large public multi-client Testnets?
- What can ETHStaker do to help Ethereum going forward?
- How can I get involved in Ethereum?
- I would love to see validator exits to smart contracts made possible, specifically for projects like Rocketpool to be truly non-custodial. What do you think about the importance of non-custodial staking pools and the steps needed to be taken, to make these pools possible?
- As we add functionality to the Eth2 chain in the future Phases should Stakers plan for additional hardware requirements for either the beacon or the validators?
- How will transactions work once shards are introduced?
- How is the community be polled about the priority between the merge and sharding?
- Is it fair to assume that the implementors are currently polishing the Beacon Chain client and not developing new implementations?
- Can we have 1 click Staking setup for less experienced people like me who want to stake. I would love to support the system but the process is overwhelming.
- What are your goals for eth2 development in the first half of 2021?
- Are there plans to define a common beacon chain API, meaning that one could e.g. run a lighthouse validator with a prysm beacon node?
Helpful Links Discussed During the Community Call
00:00 – 08:18 – Coming Soon sequence
08:20 – 10:45 – Introductions
10:45 – 13:35 – How did the Beacon Chain Launch go?
13:35 – 18:00 – What can we expect for Testnets?
18:00 – 20:15 – Have you seen any Testnet-ready clients?
20:15 – 22:19 – What priority does ETH1/Shards have on the Beacon Chain?
22:19 – 22:46 – Danny Ryan’s insight on the Ethereum phases going forward
22:46 – 23:53 – Can we expect funds to be released earlier than two years?
23:53 – 26:30 – Will there be a public multi-client Testnet?
26:30 – 29:04 – What can ETHStaker do to help Ethereum going forward?
29:04 – 32:59 – POAP Distribution talk
32:59 – 33:55 – How can I get involved?
33:55 – 58:08 – Community Questions
58:08 – 1:13:00 – Open Mic Community Questions
ETHStaker Community Call #15 with Danny Ryan Community Poll
During the ETHStaker Community Call #15 with Danny Ryan, the priority shift seemed to be to focus on implementing the ETH1/ETH2 merger before shards. Share your opinion on our ETHStaker Community Poll hosted by The ETHER.